UNITING CHRISTIANS FORUM AND CHAT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opening to Virtues

3 posters

Go down

Opening to Virtues Empty Opening to Virtues

Post by Christ is My Life! Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:31 pm

I will begin with the Wikipedia definition of Virtues. And we can continue from there. I pray this thread will bless all who seek to define, and conquer any virtue to bring them to a more Christ Like State of being! Our Lord is our Goal! Let's make it together!

Love and blessings to all of you and welcome to a spirit filled, test filled, rewarding journey of the soul!

In Christianity, the theological virtues are faith, hope and charity or love/agape, a list which comes from 1 Corinthians 13:13 (νυνι δε μενει πιστις ελπις αγαπη τα τρια ταυτα μειζων δε τουτων η αγαπη pistis, elpis, agape). These are said to perfect one's love of God and Man and therefore (since God is super-rational) to harmonize and partake of prudence.

Virtuous Women Proverbs 31:10-31 (NIV) 10 "A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. 11 Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. 12 She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. 13 She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. 14 She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. 15 She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls. 16 She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. 17 She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. 18 She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night. 19 In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers. 20 She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. 21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet. 22 She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple. 23 Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. 24 She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes. 25 She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. 26 She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. 27 She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. 28 Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: 29 "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." 30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. 31 Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."
Christ is My Life!
Christ is My Life!
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 895
Humor : yup, I have some!
Registration date : 2007-05-18

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Opening to Virtues Empty Re: Opening to Virtues

Post by Christ is My Life! Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:35 pm

The Seven Holy Virtues

faith

hope

charity

prudence

justice

temperance

fortitude

The Seven Deadly Sins

lust

envy

sloth

pride

avarice

gluttony

anger
Christ is My Life!
Christ is My Life!
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Opening to Virtues Empty site to read

Post by Christ is My Life! Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:41 pm

Instead of copying and pasting, I will post a link to a site I found interesting.

It speaks of 54 virtues. I read through a bit, it has good advice.

http://www.virtuesproject.com/virtueslist.html#love
What are the Virtues?
Christ is My Life!
Christ is My Life!
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Christ is My Life! Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:34 am

Please bear with me here. I am led to write, and am not sure what exactly will be written. I will begin with prayer, as this is not something I am used to feeling, or doing.

Lord, may the words that flow be inspired only by You, as my Father in heaven, I live to please only you, and fail miserably. Bless this topic as I pray others will learn to live for You, by You and with You on this journey of life called Faith. You are my God, my Awesome Lord, my Father, the only one I can call Father. In Jesus precious and Holy name, I pray, Amen

How to live as Christ would. This is a complex yet simple way of life. By obedience. Complex, you may ask? But how? For God's laws are so simple. So to the point.

Yes, this is so. To follow the 10 commandments and God's Laws in obedience is actually quite simple. So what makes it so complex to follow? The complexity is in the simplicity. Man likes to turn the simplest of solutions into the most complex problems. Adding something here, taking something there. Twisting the original into a tangled knot that the best of sailors can not untie.

So many Christians want so heartfeltly to live as Christ lived. It is impossible, I will tell you. Not because it is difficult and evils and temptations feed the mind and flesh, but because we are NOT the Son of God in Christ's form, nor do we have the same mission. Similar, yes, the same, no. Christ came for one purpose and one purpose only. To wake up His children to the truth. Not to marry, have a family and spread the message of God. He was born to be the greatest missionary ever to walk this earth.

With much opposition, with much following, people chose. Chose to believe or chose not to believe. Chose to continue in sin, or chose to Sin No More.

Imagine right now, that you are at the lowest in your life. You are crawling in the dirt, searching for just His foot to reach out and touch. Begging God with all your heart for just enough strength to drag your weak, sweaty, broken hearted body far enough to even touch the tip of the toenail of the smallest toe of our Beloved Christ. Because you know the tip of that toenail is that of Heaven. Of God, of Glory, of something we can't imagine, or feel because life has thrown us into pits over and over....and over.

So you reach, struggling, hands shaking,body trembling and with sweaty, filthy hands, you push forward just far enough to brush His foot, ever so softly.....and your whole body turns into a tsunami, an earthquake....a volcano overflowing with a new life.....an overwhelming sense of truth. So strong you will faint because your body can not handle what it is feeling.....but your spirit is so alive, soaring higher than an eagle, your heart bursting with a new energy, a new life, a new light, a NEW FIRE. God's fire inside YOU!

From this moment on, where would be the complexity? There would be no more duality in the mind. How to love God, how to walk like Christ, how to be like Him.....for it would be INSIDE you. Removing the doubts and insecurities and frustrations that the devil utilizes in our mind's eye to fool even the most elect of individuals.

There is no favor with God. You are HIS child, and He is calling you home to be with HIM. To abide with Him. Do not listen to man, nor debate with man. Listen to God, and follow HIS words, not that of men which come to aid in mass confusion. Live in His word. His laws are simple. Not complex. Put God First! Live Christ. Let Christ inside. Do not say He is inside, but in reality, be a liar....for so often God's children believe Christ is inside, but instead, He is still knocking, saying, Please, Please, open to ME....not the World, Not worldly teachings and words, but ME. I will move you, I will work through you....just please Let ME in! Then you will see the virtues, you so desperately begged for, and persevered for, come naturally. And temptations, you will scoff at, for they are NOT of the Lord, God, Almighty. And your heart will leap, your mouth will be discreet and your words well spoken, for wisdom will shine through. For it will not be you who will be speaking, but HE who speaks through YOU!

I hope this blesses you!

God Bless!

[center]Opening to Virtues Holy%20Spirit
Christ is My Life!
Christ is My Life!
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Christ is My Life! Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:00 am

LUKE 14

(Luk 14:1) And it came to pass, as he went into the house of one of the chief Pharisees to eat bread on the sabbath day, that they watched him.
(Luk 14:2) And, behold, there was a certain man before him which had the dropsy.
(Luk 14:3) And Jesus answering spake unto the lawyers and Pharisees, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath day?
(Luk 14:4) And they held their peace. And he took {him}, and healed him, and let him go;
(Luk 14:5) And answered them, saying, Which of you shall have an ass or an ox fallen into a pit, and will not straightway pull him out on the sabbath day?
(Luk 14:6) And they could not answer him again to these things.
(Luk 14:7) And he put forth a parable to those which were bidden, when he marked how they chose out the chief rooms; saying unto them.
(Luk 14:Cool When thou art bidden of any {man} to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room; lest a more honourable man than thou be bidden of him;
(Luk 14:9) And he that bade thee and him come and say to thee, Give this man place; and thou begin with shame to take the lowest room.
(Luk 14:10) But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee.
(Luk 14:11) For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
(Luk 14:12) Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor {thy} rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.
(Luk 14:13) But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:
(Luk 14:14) And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.
(Luk 14:15) And when one of them that sat at meat with him heard these things, he said unto him, Blessed {is} he that shall eat bread in the kingdom of God.
(Luk 14:16) Then said he unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many:
(Luk 14:17) And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready.
(Luk 14:18) And they all with one {consent} began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused.
(Luk 14:19) And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused.
(Luk 14:20) And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.
(Luk 14:21) So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind.
(Luk 14:22) And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room.
(Luk 14:23) And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel {them} to come in, that my house may be filled.
(Luk 14:24) For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper.
(Luk 14:25) And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them,
(Luk 14:26) If any {man} come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
(Luk 14:27) And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
(Luk 14:28) For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have {sufficient} to finish {it}?
(Luk 14:29) Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish {it}, all that behold {it} begin to mock him,
(Luk 14:30) Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish.
(Luk 14:31) Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand?
(Luk 14:32) Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace.
(Luk 14:33) So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.
(Luk 14:34) Salt {is} good: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned?
(Luk 14:35) It is neither fit for the land, nor yet for the dunghill; {but} men cast it out. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
Christ is My Life!
Christ is My Life!
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Christ is My Life! Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:58 pm

To Be a Disciple of Christ is?

Jesus said, "For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it - lest, after he has laid the foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, saying, 'This man began to build and was not able to finish.' Or what king, going to make war against another king, does not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? Or else, while the other is still a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks conditions of peace. So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple" (Luke 14:28-33). "For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?" (Matthew 16:25-26)

We must each give up our old selves in order to embrace and become the person Christ has created us to be. Therefore "put off the old man with his deeds" (Colossians 3:9-10), for "if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new" (2 Corinthians 5:17).

"The natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God" (1 Corinthians 2:14), rather, "the carnal mind is enmity against God" (Romans 8:7). But even though "we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath" (Ephesians 2:3), "…you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight" (Colossians 1:21-22). Thus, having been "reconciled to God through the death of His Son" (Romans 5:10), you have received "exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust" (2 Peter 1:4). Therefore, "do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world -- the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life -- is not of the Father but is of the world" (1 John 2:15-16). "Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God" (James 4:4). "He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor" (John 12:25-26).
Christ is My Life!
Christ is My Life!
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by faithfulone4281 Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:55 pm

awlsome teaching gbu
faithfulone4281
faithfulone4281

Female Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-09-12

Back to top Go down

Opening to Virtues Empty Or Simply...

Post by everready Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:17 am

Stop Look and Listen, often we don't do any, and so, many blessings go by the wayside..
Opening to Virtues Ist2_184793_wise_monkeys-1

Always everready and
In Chist,
Lee
everready
everready
Super Mod
Super Mod

Male Number of posts : 239
Humor : serious
Registration date : 2007-08-23

http://the4gospels.net/christianforums/index.php