UNITING CHRISTIANS FORUM AND CHAT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Burning Bush

Go down

:) The Burning Bush

Post by everready Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:34 pm

Sunday, November 18, 2007
LORD, Wash my Feet
Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet? Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter. Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me. Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head. Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all. For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.

(John 13:6-11)

For many years I thought I understood the meaning that Jesus was trying to convey to his disciples by washing their feet. It seemed obvious that Jesus was setting an example that we should be humble servants to our fellow man. Of course that is true, we ought to strive to help one another in any way we can. But the Lord revealed a deeper meaning to me in a sermon I heard a few nights ago. I believe Simon Peter was beginning to understand what Jesus was signifying when he said "Lord, not my feet only." We can have no part in the Kingdom of God without the cleansing power of Jesus' Blood which He shed at Calvary. You see, Peter was already "washed", having faith in Jesus Christ as his savior. Jesus was telling Peter there was no need to rewash his hands and head, the sacrifice of Christ was perfect; all-sufficient for an eternal life in Christ. But like us, he was still walking in a sinful world. Although his soul was cleansed, sinless, and eternally safe in Christ, his "feet" were still touching a sinful world. He needed a daily "foot-washing".

We know as Christians that we are not perfect, only saved by grace. As long as we are still in this old flesh we will mess up, stumble, and fall. We just need our daily cleansing, that time of confessing and asking forgiveness for the mistakes we make each day. Not to maintain our salvation, but to maintain our relationship with Jesus; a relationship that allows Him to minister to our needs, and use us for His honor and His glory. In the book of 1st John chapter 1, v. 9 He tells us that; If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. I thank God for His promises.

Have you asked Him to "wash your feet" today?

everready
everready
Super Mod
Super Mod

Male Number of posts : 239
Humor : serious
Registration date : 2007-08-23

http://the4gospels.net/christianforums/index.php

Back to top Go down